Tuesday 14 August 2012

13th August

My first trip of the autumn yesterday. The weather looked great and with Pallid Harrier in Clare and a sprinkling of Pied Flycatchers on the south coast, I was optimistic about what I might find on Tory. Other good omens were Melodious, Icterine and Barred Warblers in Britain on the east and south coasts.



I set the alarm for 3.50am to make sure I had plenty of time to get the early ferry from Bunbeg on Mondays at 7.30am. The weather was pretty bad with heavy rain on the journey up and it continued for most of the morning before eventually drying up at 12.00.

Bird wise it was pretty uneventful. The south easterlies ment there was little or no seabirds on the ferry crossing.

Arctic Tern. The only tern of the trip.

There was just 1 Willow Warbler on the Island. The birding highlight were a single Knot and a Swift, both Tory ticks. Mid August might be just a little early for autumn migration on the north west coast.

Juvenile Knot

Swift

On a brighter note there is a nice field of Oats sown in east town which has already attracted the local Tree Sparrows. It looks good for a rare Bunting in the autumn!

A reported bird of prey "with bells on" gave me the slip, but I have been promised some photos.

Just 7 calling Corncrake this year according th Anton, down from 8 last year. But reports of 18 birds from near by Inishbofin is encouraging.

A count of 26 Tree Sparrow shows they are just about holding there own this year.

Starlings. 260 counted


I hope to get up again before the month is out.

2 comments: